Home Improvement Careers: General Advice
If you are just starting your career in the home improvement industry – be it in plumbing, interior design, carpentry, architecture, realty, electrical, etc. – here are some general advises to keep you afloat while paving your career:
- You should join networking groups and professional organizations. Joining networking groups and professional organizations may be costly, but the education, resources, and connections that you gain from these groups will be irreplaceable. It may take some time to build new relationships in the profession that you have chosen, but in time, you will be able to build rapport with the members of the said group. With good relationships comes referrals. This can be done by showing up in meetings and sharing your knowledge to other members.
- Take a placement test. To help gain new perspective, taking tests such as Motivational Assessment of Personal Potential (MAPP) or the MEYERS-BRIGGS personality test will be of great help. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses will help you assess where you should focus and where to improve.
- Take a part-time job. If you are still in the process of obtaining your qualifications for the profession of your choosing, it would be a good idea to find a part-time job in the same industry. Doing so will give you ideas and insights on how the industry works and what the job requires of you.
- Conduct informational interviews. There is no better way of knowing the ins and outs of the industry than talking to the direct participants. You will be surprised to find out professionals in the same industry are more than happy to talk about their careers.
- Understand how leads are converted and where they come from. Determine where most of your leads can come from. Advertising and prospecting can still be done, but they usually take time. If you are able to know where leads can come from, it would be easy to target them. With this, it would also be easy for you to convert these leads into a profitable outcome.
- Take note of successful strategies you used to gain new prospects. No strategy is absolute. Every new prospect can be gained using different tactics and techniques. You just have to make sure that you take note of the things you have done to achieve new prospects so you can use them again in the future. But remember, no strategy is absolute. You still need to be flexible and creative along the way.
- Conduct your research. Before you decide which home improvement career to take, make sure that you have done your research. See which field is going to be more profitable for you, and which field is more suited to your skills and interests.
- Practice your communication skills. If you are not the type to express yourself, then it is time that you practice how you can. You can take public speaking classes or persuasive writing courses to achieve this. Your communication skills is very vital to your success. If you know how to talk to your clients, it would be easier to grab their attention and convert these clients into a profit.
- Take time to volunteer. Volunteering is a good way to meet new people and new clients. Most people will not deny any free help. Volunteering is definitely a good way to establish a good network of clients.
- Be better than your competition. No matter what industry or profession you choose, it will be very important that you make yourself invaluable. Take different accreditations and improve your skills to complement them. Further education can go a long way.
- Get to know your market. It is of high importance that you get to know your target market. Without knowing them, all your efforts would be put to waste.
- Be customer focused. In the home improvement industry, customer service is very important. To do this, you have to make sure that you are interacting with your clients the best way possible. This can be achieved through training or first-hand observation.